The other night I watched "Food Matters: Hungry For A Change" for about the 5th time and decided that I needed to do it not just watch it. Ive put together a list of things that I am doing but I HIGHLY recommend you watching this documentary on Netflix (sign up for the free week, here , and watch it plus the other documentaries such as "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead," FoodMatters, The Beautiful Truth and The Gerson Miracle). These films will change your life, seriously!
#2 Find an Accountability Buddy. Someone who will be strict and not give into your "withdrawals". My husband is mine. He's awesome! I literally cried the other day bc I wanted a Corn dog or a Turkey leg at the fair and he said absolutely not. He has endured my childlike tantrums and just said NO! It's for YOUR own good! I am so thankful that I have someone there to keep in line because I have absolutely ZERO I mean NEGATIVE ZERO self control when it comes to food lol!
#3 Encourage yourself daily! When you wake up in the morning look in the mirror and say, "I am beautiful, I am doing this for you". Yes, it sounds corny but it really helps stimulate the endorphins in your brain and makes you positive and ready to start the day!
Here are the items that I suggest you invest in. Yes, you can eat organic and healthy without them but 1 it's a lot easier and 2 you will get a lot more nutrients to heal your body.
1. Get a Juicer. I have an Omega Masticating Juicer (cold pressed). It's definitely expensive but its worth it. You can also get a Centrifugal Juicer (spinning kind) it's a lot cheaper however you don't get quiet as much nutrient retention. (You can get a 20% off coupon by clicking on the link and signing up for e-mails)
2. Get a blender for shakes. I have a Nutribullet however, my friend has this $20 Faber-ware individual cup blender that she got from Walmart that is awesome! You can buy that here
3. Get the Forks Over Knives: The Cookbook. You can find it for a reasonable price on Amazon. This gives you tooons of amazing plant based recipes and substitutions!
4. Buy organic as much as possible. A lot of times places like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have their organic produce on sale for almost the same price if not cheaper than the pesticide covered traditional produce. Also, do your research you might have a local organic farm near you where the organic produce is really cheap!
Here is a link of the "dirty dozen clean 15" that I try and go by because I have a budget I have to adhere to lol!
I started by taking a detox bath. Ran a hot (but don't burn yourself) bath and poured 2 cups Epsom Salt, 1/2 cup of Baking Soda and about 10 to 15 drops of Organic Lavender Essential Oil. You will need to drink lots and lots of water during your bath and after. This girl has amazing stuff on natural products! (It's where I got my detox bath recipe from!)
Next, For the first few days I suggest you only Juice and or make shakes. This will really detox your system (I didn't do this though lol)
I just cut out ALL Processed Refined Sugar (soda, sweeteners, white sugar, flour), Meat, Dairy (except organic plan greek yogurt) and Wheat products. After a month or 2 I will slowly being reintroducing myself to meats such as organic chicken, wild caught salmon etc however, right now I am doing a detox and getting my body healthy (not just trying to lose weight) so the simpler the better. Below I will list a Sample Menu I have.
Read How to Curb Sugar Cravings Here !!
Breakfast: (Pick One with Juice)
** I always start my morning by drinking 1 cup purified water with fresh lemon, ginger and 1 Tbsp Raw Organic Honey
*Juice ( my favorite is Carrot Cake from the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead website. Visit www.Rebootwithjoe.com for tons of recipes!!)
4 - 6 large carrots
1 1/2 sweet potatoes
1 – 2 red apples
Dash of cinnamon
1 1/2 sweet potatoes
1 – 2 red apples
Dash of cinnamon
Wash All Fruits and Veggies. Peel Sweet Potatoes. Run through Juicer and add a dash on Cinnamon.
* Steel Cut Oats with Fresh Fruit of Choice and 1 Tbls Raw Organic Honey
*Energizing Shake: Handful De-ribbed Kale, 1 cup frozen or fresh berries, 1/2 banana, 2 Tbls Chia Seeds, 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk or Water. Blend together. You can also Pair with 1/2 cup Organic Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt, 1 Tbsp Raw Organic Honey and Fresh Fruit
* 1 egg (cooked with no oil) half of a grape fruit and a small shake
*Drink More Juice or a Small Shake and pair with one of the below options.
*Large Cobbish Salad. I like Organic Romain with Carrots, Red Onions, Tomatoes, Avocado, Cucumber and Organic Dried Chick Peas or Almond Slices with Trader Joe's Organic Vinaigrette Dressing.
*Small Sweet Potato with 1 Tbsp Raw Organic Honey and Cinnamon with a small side salad (a smaller version of the Large Salad)
*Skin Beauty Salad you can also have this with 1 cup cooked Lentils or Quinoa
* A good ole fashioned steamed veggie plate! I like Baked Potatoes, Broccoli, Sautéed Spinach with Garlic and Limas lol
Snack Options in Between Meals:
* 1/2 cup greek yogurt with fresh fruit (limit 1 yogurt every 2 days)
* Fresh Fruit and Veggies blend
* Small Shake
Finally, It is imperative to drink lots and lots of purified water to flush out toxins! Add a little lime which is a natural detoxifier for flavor! It is also great to include as least 30 minutes or more of cardio (walking, running or both. Intervals burn more fat.)
Well, That's about all I do! It may seem overwhelming at first BUT it'll soon become natural the more you do it! Im going to put some simple tips below of "rules" I like to follow.
1. Drink a glass of water upon rising. This will flush out the toxins your body has been harboring while you sleep!
2. For a metabolism jump start eat breakfast 30 minutes after waking up.
3. Eat at a least 50% Raw Diet.
4. Stem Veggies Rather than Boil (The hold their nutrients better)
5. If at all possible DO NOT BUY CANNED! Most cans are lined with BPA which is a toxin in Plastic
6.Try not to use the Microwave. The radiation kills vital nutrients and enzymes.
7. If its green its good for you.
8. Buy fresh when at all possible! Frozen is good but the vitamins and minerals in fresh is always better!
9.Pack a cooler with healthy snacks for when you are on the go so your blood sugar remains stable and you aren't tempted, like me, to cram your face with sugary carbs!
10. Do not buy fat free (unless it's naturally fat free organic greek yogurt). Fat free options usually mean higher sugar and more process! ICK!
11. Unless you have naturally dried them yourself, packed dried fruit is a NO. Loads of sugar. The same with things like "yogurt covered raisins".
12. Try not to add salt and if you do only add a tiiiiny bit and only use sea salt or my favorite pink Himalayan salt! At first it will taste bad but your body will get used to it and its much much healthier!
13. Use Coconut oil, Avocado Oil or Grapeseed Oil to cook with! They hold the most nutrients at high temperatures (Our Grapeseed Oil is from Trader Joe's, it's cheap lol)
Read about the amazingness of coconut oil Here !!
I hope this helps!!! Please message me with any other questions!! Ill try and post more recipes! I finally got my good computer working again so this week Im going to work on my oh so neglected BLOG woohoo! So Ill post recipes there as well!! Its www.reedmylipstick.com
PS. Here again are great websites to find organic plant-based recipes for free!!